Wednesday, July 22, 2009

reflection

i just remembered a funny incident that happened a couple weeks ago.

phone rings. lanee picks it up.
lanee: "LRC, this is Lanee."
patron speaks.
lanee: "you need to get your van driving license?"
patron speaks.
lanee: "no... you can't get that here. Umm... this is the LRC. In the library."

apparently people call the library with any old question. i myself have helped many a patron over the phone with their bizarre requests:

me: "circulation, how may i help you?"
patron: "yes, i need the number for the better business bureau in wichita, kansas."
pause.
me: "umm... one moment. " (enter "better business bureau wichita" into google search) "it's 316-263-3146."

another one:

me: "circulation, how may i help you?"
patron: "what is 70 percent of 200?"
me: "well, let me pull out a calculator and look for you."

3 comments:

  1. Ummm. . . A+ customer service. We should get raises

    ReplyDelete
  2. one time someone called the circ desk to ask how to reference a journal article in her bib. i was like....uh...i have NO idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today a really old lady called and asked for the address for the stadium branch of UCCU. Also, the other day a really old man called and asked for the phone number of some random person in Arkansas. I of course gave each of them the information they were looking for. I wonder if they're a couple.

    ReplyDelete